Friday, November 13, 2009

Gigabit network and network utilization is REALLY low...Why?

I have a full gigabit network here. My PC has a gigabit card in it (Thinkpad T43 builtin gig card), my switch is a new gigabit switch and my main file storage drive is a WD World Edition gigabit ethernet attached hard drive. My system shows it's connected at 1.0Gbps, the switch shows that all network devices (except my 100MB printer) are connected at gig speed, yet when I transfer files from or to my WD worldbook drive on the network, again, also connected at gig speed, my network utilization NEVER goes past 2% in windows task manager. It's just as slow as the 100MB network I just upgraded from.





My understanding of cabling is that CAT6 is best for gig, but CAT5e works at gig speeds too...All cables are pretty much new Belkin CAT5e cables...





What am I missing? This is driving me nutts! OS is Windows XP Pro.





Thanks!

Gigabit network and network utilization is REALLY low...Why?
It will only be as fast as the slowest link. The processing power of that WD drive is probably the problem. In spite of whatever data transfer rate the drive has, the little 'brain' in the unit has to do the Ethernet work, and might just be slow. 2% of Gig is still 20 MBps, so you're seeing about 2 MB/sec right?


No comments:

Post a Comment