Monday, November 16, 2009

Network issues - too many routers?

I have a slight problem with my office network. Situation is as follows:





5 different PCs (1 on XP, the rest on Vista).


Comcast provided cable modem/router, connected to a Linksys switch and a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. The switch is then connected to a patch panel to feed rj45 ports around the office.





The one guy who uses the wireless hook-up can't see any of the other PCs on the network (despite much tinkering with private/public networks, automatic IP acquisition, etc) and I think it probably comes down to the fact that the cable modem/router and the WRT54GS are both trying to run their own, separate networks.





I suspect what I need to do is throw out the WRT54GS and replace it with a wireless access point - unless there's some jiggery-pokery I can do to disable the WRT54GS's routing functions?





Any other thoughts gratefully received.

Network issues - too many routers?
I'm trying to get hold of a manual to give you a more informed answer, but I suggest that your instincts are correct. Either disabling its routing functions or replacing it with a simple AP would most likely solve the problem.





As I can't, right now, give you a working link to a manual or similar I'll settle for giving you the support of a certified network engineer (as I don't know your level of education.)





-Matthew, Cisco Certified Network Associate.





Edit: I have found a manual and now believe that your best course of action would be simply to disable the WRT54GS's DHCP server.


No comments:

Post a Comment