Monday, November 16, 2009

Network Design Question?

Picture this... I have 3 network closets that have patch panels for thier respective areas. Within each of these closets I have 4 switches that are stacked (providing redundancy), and then daisy chained via a fiber cable to each of the other closets providing redundancy among the closets. On one of the switches I connected a router as a gateway to the internet. Currently there is one network (192.168.12.x/24)





I am planning to implement 3 different IP networks. Now if I have 3 subnets (192.168.1.x/24, 192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24), can I connect the clients anywhere onto these switches? Or do I have to have separate the switches for each IP network and connect each client to thier respective switch?





I know that my clients wont be able to talk to other clients on a different subnet. However, I was thinking that if I added 3 ethernet cards to my router each with a IP serving as a gateway for each network, then I believe all teh clients will be able to communicate.

Network Design Question?
The best way to do this is





1. Your router needs to be able support Trunking (Dot1q preferred)). Configure subinterfaces on your ethernet and connect to a switch trunk port





2. Your switches need to support vlans Make sure each link connecting the switches are trunk ports so vlan information is past through each switch
Reply:that could be done, but i would use Vlans to separate the different ip networks and subinterfaces on the router using trunking to route between the Vlans. depending on what you have, you may not need to buy any upgrades.





good luck with that


No comments:

Post a Comment