Monday, November 16, 2009

Unsecured Wireless Network?

I always see a unsecured network when scanning through the available networks in my area... its name is "linksys". I figure it's not my network because when I disconnect my router and stuff... it still shows up (while mine disappears of course).





Question 1: Would it generally be safe to log onto this unsecured network with my laptop? My laptop has no important documents or anything and I would only use it to go to public websites [ so like nothing important (ex. emails, financial accounts, etc.) ].





Question 2: There's this site that tracks IP's because it does not allow multiple accounts to be created from the same IP. If I use this unsecured network on my laptop... is my IP different (i.e. will the site allow me to create another account) from my desktop computer which is using my actual network?

Unsecured Wireless Network?
Using a neighbor's wireless access point may not be legal even with their permission. The answer varies depending on the policies of residential Internet service providers and plans among other factors.





Many U.S. states prohibit unauthorized access to computer networks including open Wi-Fi networks. While interpretations of these laws may vary, some precedents have been set in recent years:





2007 - a man in Michigan was fined for using the Wi-Fi hotspot of a local cafe, from his car





2006 - Illinois man David Kauchak was fined for unauthorized use of a local agency's Wi-Fi access point





2005 - a Florida man faced felony charges for piggybacking onto a neighbor's Internet connection without their permission





Just as entering a home or business without the owner's permission is considered trespassing (even if the doors are unlocked), likewise accessing wireless Internet connections (even open access ones) can be considered an illegal activity.
Reply:yes it is. Well a lot of people steal other wireless accounts near they're house. If you are not a secret agent well you don't care about your files safety. And yes you'll have a new IP, just test it. But i saw myself the linksys and it never works. Good luck hacker!


No comments:

Post a Comment